Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Does Absence Really Make the Heart Grow Fonder?

It's funny how time slips away, little by little, until whoa! Months are gone and everyone is saying, "I can't believe it's October already. Pretty soon Christmas will be here." Another frequently heard comment is, "Can you believe 2008 is almost over?" But I love it most when my children tell me how close they are to 30. Just this past weekend my handsome son in his almost-late 20's was lamenting to me that he was "almost 30 and ya' know what that means". Well, I'm not sure at all what he means, but I do know that way too much time has passed without posting here.

So the Cliff Notes version of the last 3-4 months is this: Early summer brought me some really tough personal issues to confront. That done, I realized that half the summer was gone so I quickly sewed some summer clothes. In my hurry I figured I would blog about each item "later". If its and buts were candy & nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas! So here it is October. No blogging and no pictures of the cute summer clothes.

My latest excuse is the crazy hot weather we had this Fall. As it continued to heat up every day late into August and then into September and even lingering into October, I just couldn't get into sewing for colder days and my sewing mojo took a leave of absence. Now I am behind in sewing the Fall/Winter wardrobe.

But alas, absence from the sewing room has made me yearn to sew again! So I plunged right in this past weekend. I spent the weekend with my daughter and grandchildren creating a flying squirrel Halloween costume for my 11-yo DGS. It is complete except for the tail. No picture yet but I'm sure his mom will supply me with a picture to post.

Tonight I hemmed 3 pairs of jeans using this method from SewNews. Since I have to shorten all my jeans, this allows me to keep the original hem which looks really nice. I have used this technique numerous times, always with great results! I have 2 pairs of slacks that need to be shortened also. But they are lined and will take a little bit more time.

So one thing I am doing to boost my sewing mojo is to sew for a minimum of 10 minutes every day. I remember reading this tip a long time ago, that if you sew 10 minutes a day every single day you will be amazed at what you can accomplish. So that is my goal--10 minutes a day, every single day. Not 2 or 3 days a week, or most days of the week, but every single day!

The other thing I am doing to boost the mojo is posting here! Watch for more frequent posts!

No comments: